Friday, July 10, 2020

High and Over & Hollingbury Park & Horseshoe Plantation - 10th July

An all day trip that started with my first visit to High and Over - a beautiful location on the South Downs that overlooks the Cuckmere Valley on one side. Plenty of Pyramidal Orchids still in flower here and my first Chalkhill Blue of the year plus several Marbled White. Then on to Hollingbury Park in Brighton where I managed to find a couple of White-letter Hairstreak nectaring on the thistles as well as a pair of Small Skipper mating. On the way home I dropped in at my patch Horseshoe Plantation to watch the Blues and the Browns slowly going to roost - always a magical moment.

view from High and Over
Marbled White
Pyramidal Orchid
Pyramidal Orchid
Shaggy Ink Cap Mushroom
Small Skipper pairing
White-letter Hairstreak
White-letter Hairstreak
White-letter Hairstreak
Brown Argus
male Common Blue
male Common Blue
Marbled White pairing
male Chalkhill Blue