Saturday, June 20, 2020

Ashdown Forest - 13th & 20th June

On my way to and from Sussex I decided to stop off at Ashdown Forest to see if I could find some Silver-studded Blues, recognising that it was a little early in the season, certainly compared to 2019. However, since most butterflies seem to have emerged earlier this year due to the warm weather it seemed like a worthwhile trip. There is a small colony just behind Smugglers car park and this is where I focussed my efforts. On the 13th June the weather was a little cloudy and after searching for an hour I was about to give up when I spotted a single pristine male Silver-studded Blue. For the return trip on the 20th June the weather was similarly cloudy but fortunately the sun emerged and I found 3 male and 1 female butterflies.

male Silver-studded Blue
male Silver-studded Blue
male Silver-studded Blue
male Silver-studded Blue
male Silver-studded Blue
male Silver-studded Blue
female Silver-studded Blue