Tuesday, June 1, 2021

Hutchinson's Bank - 1st June

Hutchinson's Bank is renowned for being one of the few places outside of the Isle of Wight where Glanville Fritillaries can be reliably found. With the weather set fair for mid-twenty degrees centigrade temperatures, I decided I would make the trip from Bexhill-on-Sea to New Addington via public transport, involving a train to Croydon followed by a tram to New Addington. By the time I arrived at ca. 10.00 a.m. there were already several butterfly enthusiasts present and the sun was shining. Pretty quickly I saw several Small Blues which seemed to be quite common. Then I saw my first ever Glanville Fritillary which glided by and settled. There seemed to be several present in a relatively small V-shaped narrow glade. Unlike other Fritillaries they seemed to spend a fair amount of time stationary allowing for photos. Later I walked further down towards Chapel Bank looking for Man Orchids but was unsuccessful. Apparently it is also possible to see Duke of Burgundy here in small numbers.

Glanville Fritillary
Glanville Fritillary
Glanville Fritillary
Glanville Fritillary
Glanville Fritillary
Glanville Fritillary
Small Blue
Small Blues
Small Blue